- This event has passed.
Free Family Day Explore Drawing!
/// November 12 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Join us at Ogden Museum of Southern Art for a FREE Family Day!
Learn all about drawing with a focus on the current exhibition, Leaving Appalachia: The Art of Gregory B. Saunders. Participate in family-friendly activities such as drawing-based art activities and a Museum scavenger hunt with prizes! The FREE admission day includes family-friendly entertainment, a food truck and more!
- Family-Friendly Entertainment – Enjoy tunes by Louisiana Contemporary Presented by the Helis Foundation artist, Madison Spinner aka DJ madspinnz.
- Storytime in the Galleries – Join librarians from the Jefferson Parish Library for an engaging storytime surrounded by art on view.
- Museum Scavenger Hunt – Explore the Museum through a drawing themed scavenger hunt with prizes!
- Portraits – Sit for your portrait with Louisiana Contemporary Presented by the Helis Foundation artist, José Torres-Tama.
- Delicious Food – Enjoy burgers, wings and more for purchase from the Kajun Kidd food truck.
- Community Partner Tables – BikeEasy
- Pop-Up Art Vendors – Karen Konnerth of Calliope Puppets Studio, and Conrad Rose
Art Activities – Create art activities inspired by the art on view.
- Abstract 3D Drawing – Inspired by Gregory B. Saunders – Form an abstract “drawing” built with piper cleaners inspired by the sculptural work of Saunders.
- Nature Collage – Inspired by Gregory B. Saunders – Create a collage of your favorite animal and the habitat that they reside in.
- Self-Portrait – Draw your own portrait inspired by Louisiana Contemporary Presented by the Helis Foundation artist, José Torres-Tama.
- Symbols – Inspired by Ida Kohlmeyer – Use magic paper to reveal your own secret code consisting of colorful symbols.
- Interactive Wall – Draw your favorite activity or hobby on the interactive wall.
// Event image: Gregory B. Saunders, Mayor of Crab City and the Girl with the Purse Tattoo, 2014, Powdered graphite on paper, 42 x 56 inches, Collection of Corbett Davis, Jr.